Saturday, February 25, 2012

The gift of winter days

As much as I complain about winters in Calgary, and as tiring as the snow and cold and bundling everyone up to head outdoors can get on my nerves, I have to say I am thrilled it is a cold and truly blustery day today.

We had to venture out this morning…dance class, skating lessons, the bank and a trip to the library, but now we are home. At the library we got a collection of movies for the kids and us, oldies but goodies like “Back to the Future”, “The Four Seasons” with Alan Alda, and a “Looney Tunes Collection”. Now that we are back home, we have the fireplace on and I’m sipping a cup of Mint Mojito tea and we are settling in for the day. The kids have put their pj’s back on, and I’m preparing to do the same. We have a roast beef marinating ready to pop into the oven in a few hours, and there is even a Flames game on Hockey Night in Canada tonight. It is the perfect combination of factors, a clear invitation to relax, chill out, be together as a family.

We never get afternoons like this when it is warm out. You can’t cuddle up under a blanket in front of the fire if it isn’t a real wintery day. So when I count my blessings and fill out my gratitude journal tonight before bed, I know that I’ll be listing cold winter days as one of the things I am thankful for! Thank you Universe!

No comments: