Sunday, March 25, 2012

Parenting joys!

Yesterday we took the boys to see the Blue Man group. D and I saw them on our honeymoon, and were eager to share the experience with our sons (daughter a bit young still). It was as good as I remembered, and the boys really enjoyed it too. As often happen when you have kids, I experienced the whole event on two levels. First I was present myself to the experience…loving the way the show shares such a positive message and brings amazing energy to the audience. And then, I was able to sink into the the joy of watching my sons have that same uplifting experience. They both had huge smiles on their faces, they laughed out loud, they participated with the rest of the audience (though the self conscious almost 14 year old did hold back a bit), and I know they’ll remember this for a long time.
I think that is one of the definite gifts of parenthood, the share the fabulous aspects of the world with your children. I love feeling my heart soar twice as high when I am with them…totally doubles the joy. So happy to have those opportunities. Same thing happened a couple of weeks ago when I watched one of my favourite movies (good old “Dirty Rotten Scoundrels”) with my eldest. He was laughing and really into it, and again, my happiness was at least doubled.
There are challenging times as a parent…no doubt about it. But those moments of shared happiness and pleasure, they make it all worthwhile!

No comments: