Saturday, February 4, 2012

The last week or so has been a crazy one, which explains why I haven’t stopped by and posted anything here for a bit. The truth is, I have started a couple of new and very exciting ventures, and I haven’t taken the time to sort out a new routine. For a couple of days I was feeling as if I was being spun around in the dryer – perpetual spin cycle. It can be fun and exciting, but also exhausting after awhile. I spent a couple of days walking around literally feeling dizzy – mimicking the spin cycle analogy perfectly. I have spent the last two days trying to get grounded, set my feet on solid ground again. I thought I’d share a few of the tips I have used to support myself in this process.

1. Drink water – a lot of water! I know now, after paying attention to myself, that when I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, I feel more energetic, and more focused, and I am significantly less stressed out. I have a large mug of herbal tea first thing in the morning. Then I fill a one litre water bottle with a quarter of a lemon and water – and drink it throughout the day. Makes all the difference.

2. Spend the time making a plan. I am not by nature a particularly organized person, but if I focus and pour some energy into the process, I can create a lovely routine and plan that I can follow. And when I have that plan in place, I am able to relax and go with the flow – which is much more my personality. But the plan has to come first, I have learned this over the years. Some of the key things I plan are a week of meals for the family, I make lists of what tasks I need to do and exactly at what time I will do them, and I create a daily routine that allows me to get all the things I want to accomplish completed.

3. Have a massage. I went yesterday morning to have a massage by the amazing Lisa. I could only squeeze in 60 minutes, but it was 60 minutes of pure heaven. She was able to work out the knots in my body, while I lay in peace and worked out the knots in my head. THE BEST FEELING!!

4. Find a song to motivate and inspire you. I’ve had several theme songs over the years, some are an anthem for a particular year or two (like Love Inc.’s “You’re a Superstar” from February 1998 to June 1999), and some get me through a week or even a day. The last few weeks it has been “100 years” by Five for Fighting. Puts things into perspective for me, gets me paying attention to what really matters! Love a theme song!

Those are my top 4 tips for getting through the crazies! There are lots more ideas and tips I use, but those are the foundational pieces. Next time you’re in spin cycle, give them a try and see if you and your life stop spinning!

No comments: